Ballast’s founders have over 20 years of experience navigating markets together
Jeff Kautz, CFABallast Co-Founder & CEO
- Portfolio Manager with 23 years of financial industry experience
- 1997 – 2014 Perkins Investment Management – Portfolio Manager, CIO, CEO
- 1993 – 1997 Market maker and Specialist for GVR & Co. on the Midwest Stock Exchange
- University of Illinois, B.S., University of Chicago, M.B.A.
Randy HughesBallast Co-Founder & CIO
- Portfolio Manager with 22 years of financial industry experience
- 1995 – 2015 Perkins Investment Management – Director of Research and Analytics, Equity Analyst
- 1994-1995 Registered Representative at First Investors Corp
- Southern Illinois University, B.S. Governors State University, M.B.A
Dave MertensBallast Partner & Head of Business Development
- Investment professional with over 35 years of financial industry experience
- 2002-2017 Jensen Investment Management – Managing Director
- 1995-2002 Berger Financial Group – Senior Vice President and President, Berger Distributors
- Ball State University, B.S., Marylhurst University, M.B.A.
Josh Freedman, CFABallast Partner & Chief Operating Officer
- Investment professional with over 27 years of financial industry experience
- 2011-2020 Elk Creek Partners, LLC – Chief Operating Officer, Chief Compliance Officer
- 2006-2011 Platte River Capital – Partner and Chief Compliance Officer
- University of San Diego, B.B.A., University of Denver, M.B.A.